Promoting an understanding and appreciation of the history and architecture of the Marquette Neighborhood.
banner - workers outside L.L. Olds Seed Company, 712 Williamson St.
Friends of Historic Third Lake Ridge
Search Results




Historical Photographs and Images

William Hyland plumbing truck on looking down Railroad St from Blair St. On the right is the Chicago Northwestern freight building. On the left is the Wisconsin Foundry. In the backgorund is the Blount power station, pre-1923 rebuild.

Date: 1920 c

The second depot building in Madison for the Chicago & Northwestern Railway. The building was touted by the newspapers as the most beautiful depot in the Northwestern system, when it was built in 1910, designed by the architectural firm of Frost and Granger of Chicago. Refer to the story on page 263 of David Mollenhoff's book, Madison: A History of the Formative Years, University of Wisconsin Press, Madison, 2003.

Courtesy of Gary Tipler
Date: 1920s

The first Chicago & Northwestern Railway Passenger Depot in Madison stood at the northeast corner of Blair and Wilson.

Courtesy of Gary Tipler
Date: 1890s?

Chicago and Northwestern Depot

Date: 1910's

Chicago and Northwestern Station Postcard. 1910's.

Chicago and Northwestern Depot Postcard

Chicago and Northwestern Deport, from "Madison, “The Four Lake City,” published 1918

Date: 1910's

Interior of the Chicago & Northwestern Railway passenger depot, the second to serve East Madison, sometime after its construction in 1910.

Courtesy of Gary Tipler
Date: c.1910

John George Ott Store, 608Williamson, from the Frank Custer Files

Courtesy of the Wisconsin State Historical Society
Date: 1890's - 1900's

looking down the 600 block of Williamson St, as the north side is being demolished for the street widening project. Machinery Row on the right, and the Fauerbach Brewery in the top center. From the Frank Custer Files.

Courtesy of the Wisconsin State Historical Society
Date: about 1955

North side of the 600 block of Williamson St, being demolished for the street widening project. Wilson Hotel is in the background on the left. Backround Right is the Chicago Northwestern Depot. (from the Frank Custer Files)

Courtesy of the Wisconsin State Historical Society
Date: about 1955

Machinery Row, also the Brown Estate Block. 601 Williamson Street This was the first building of several in the row to be built by the Timothy Brown Estate. Now referred to as Machinery Row, the buildings were designed by Convover and Porter, architects. The firs was the first employers of Frank Lloyd Wright. Search for other buildings in the neighborhood by Conover and Porter. Machinery Row was the incubator for such businesses as Advance Thresher Co., the French Battery Co. (later Rayovac), and Madison Candy Company. Refer to Capital Times article by Alexius Baas, Also refer to David Mollenhoff's book, Madison: A History of the Formative Years, University of Wisconsin Press, Madison, 1982, 2003.

Courtesy of Gary Tipler

Mitchell's Gas Station, 629 Williamson St, Fauerbach Brewery background left. Lent by Mrs. Samuel Marshall, 1976.

Courtesy of Gary Tipler

Tin depicting The Fauerbach Brewery, 653 Williamson StreetThe building at the corner had the Tasting Room, with offices and an apartment above. Many of the buildings of the complex were designed by Conover and Porter, architects. The photo was made from an advertizing tin in the collection of Mr. and Mrs. Julius Vogel. A similar copy is in the collection of the Wisconsin Historical Society archives. The complex was demolished in December 1967 for the speculative prospect of building a Howard Johnson's. 1967 State Journal article

Courtesy of Gary Tipler

653 Williamson St Fauerbach Brewery, corner of Williamson and Blount.

701 Williamson St, The first Madison street car barn. "Madison's first street cars were housed in the front of the building, 701 Williamson Street. The property was recently purchased from O.C. Harris by Carl E. Hommel. The landmark was erected in 1884, the year Madison saw its first street transportation service but additions and extensive improvements have been made since. Four different concerns now occupy the building." Wisconsin State Journal, Sept. 14, 1947.

Courtesy of Gary Tipler
Photographer/Artist: Wisconsin State Journal
Date: 1947

743 Williason (rear), Fred Steinsberger Jr and Friends, Madison Candy Co Building in background

Courtesy of Betty Steinsberger

743 Williamson (rear), Fred Steinsberger Sr, Madison Candy Co Building in background

Courtesy of Betty Steinsberger

Krehl House at 718 Jenifer St, taken from the porch of the Vogel House. Olds Seed Co Building in Background. 714 - 722 Williamson

Madison Candy Co, 1903

Courtesy of John Martens

Madison Candy Co. building, 1945. The business first began at the Machinery Row building, 811 Williamson, with Thomas F. Prendergast, president. The red brick building at 744 Williamson was built in 1904, designed by John Nader, architect. It was home to the Richard E. Ela Industrial Supply Company until the 1990s. The adjacent building had a farm implement and tractor dealer.

Courtesy of John Martens

Small tin sign advertising Sen-Sen gum. Found on wall during renovation of the Madison Candy Co building.

Courtesy of John Martens

Fred Steinsberger, lived at 743 Williamson Street, across from the Madison Candy Company.

Courtesy of Betty Steinsberger
Date: 1920's

Sprecher building, 732 Williamson St, Built in 1898 by John Sprecher, a retired merchant, the building was probably a speculative investment property for rental. It served as an implement sales house for Keegan Farm Implements as late as 1955, the last implement business in the vicinity. The Blount Street power plant of Madison Gas & Electric is in the background.

Courtesy of Gary Tipler

approx 722-728 Williamson St Olds Seed and adjacent buildings

Courtesy of Gary Tipler

Morris Paper/Olds Seed Building 714-722 Williamson St

Courtesy of Gary Tipler

Hunt's Livery and Stables, 702 Williamson St

Courtesy of Gary Tipler

Gnotobiotic Laboratory 702 - 706 Williamson

McCormick Harvester Building, 301 S. Blount St.

Courtesy of Gary Tipler

McCormick Harvester Building, 301 S. Blount St.

Courtesy of Gary Tipler

Original L.L. Olds warehouse in Leeds, WI. The Olds Seed Co moved to Madison after this warehouse was lost in a fire.

Courtesy of Gary Tipler

Olds Seed Co. employees - 714 Williamson

Mary Jean Splinter - Peter Pan Candy Company 822 Williamson. Mary Jean's father, Richard Splinter had worked at Madison Candy Company, and learned the candy making trade from the head candy maker, Thomas Prendergast.

Date: 1934

848 Williamson St Bar section of building being moved and attached onto the front of the existing house.

Courtesy of Gary Tipler

Space between 848 Williamson St (left) and 852 Williamson St (right). Tobacco warehouse at 302 S Paterson St in background. The bar front at 848 is being moved onto the existing house. Notice that the building has no roof or windows, but is adorned with Fauerbach beer advertisements visible on the other plates.

Courtesy of Gary Tipler

856 Williamson St Interior of the Horstmeyer barber shop.

Courtesy of Gary Tipler

308 S Paterson St Horstmeyer House, later more popularly known as the C.C. Rider Clubhouse. Tobacco Warehouse at 302 S Paterson St in background.

Courtesy of Gary Tipler

Julius Vogel, behind ushered back into the Jolly Tavern 848 Williamson, after his walk around Lake Monona.

Courtesy of Julius Vogel
Date: 1940's?

Julius Vogel, and another man, at the begining of their foot race around Lake Monona, outside the Jolly Tavern at 848 Williamson.

Courtesy of Julius Vogel
Date: 1940's?

854 Williamson William A. Horstmeyer barber shop.

Courtesy of Gary Tipler

801 Williamson with 802 Williamson (the old Joseph Schlitz Brewing Co. beer depot building) in background

Date: c.1976

801 Williamson with 805 Williamson in background

Date: 1970s

801 Williamson with 805 Williamson in background

Date: c.1976

805 Williamsonc. 1976. The John and Dorota Schlundt home and wagon shop, probably built in 1872. Schlundt had a business arrangement with Wilhelm Heitkamp for a few years. The small frame rear wing was a separate apartment, and may pre-date this vermillion colored brick building. It may have been the first home for William Heitkamp in 1862 when he bought the lot. Heitkamp built the brick and stone building next door at 811 Williamson in 1872. See further information in the Heitkamp family history on this site.

Photographer/Artist: Gary Tipler
Date: 1970s

805 Williamson with 809 Williamson in back

Date: c.1976

801 Williamson - from Livingston St

Date: c.1976

811 Williamson

Courtesy of Gary Tipler
Date: c. 1976

Interior Breitenbach Grocery Store, 853 Williamson St

Courtesy of Otto Breitenbach

Breitenbach Grocery Store, 853 Williamson St Courtesy of Otto Breitenbach. Copy negatives available at the Wisconsin Historical Society archives.

Courtesy of Gary Tipler

a href="results.asp?Street=Williamson&Street_no=805 ">805 Williamson St

Courtesy of Gary Tipler
Date: 1977

853 Williamson St, Breitenbach store.

Courtesy of Otto Breitenbach

853 Williamson St, Breitenbach store.

Courtesy of Otto Breitenbach

J.B. Drives Fuel Co. limestone-faced Deco-styled building was built in 1938. John B. Drives began a coal company in 1898 after having been in the hotel business. In the early 1890s, Drives had built the hotel at 424 E. Wilson, now the Ruby Marie Hotel, previously the Ramthun, Elver and Wilson hotels. Drive bought the old trolley mule barn across from the Fauerbach brewery at 409 S. Blount to operate the coal business, adjoining his home at 711 Jenifer Street. He later sold oil and scaffolding, a business that became the predecessor to Struck & Irwin. See Capital Times, Oct. 8, 1966 by Frank Custer (search: Drives) - 940 Williamson Street

George & Winnie Lottes on the 1100 block of Williamson Street, looking south. Note the neon sign of Badger Display Studio, Inc., the house at 1105 Williamson--one of two on Williamson Street with Gothic vergeboards, 1101 Williamson and 1053 Williamson with the billboard. Not in the view is the Meeks Auto Body shop, where Broom Street Theatre is located that had the first neon sign in the neighborhood. Note the wide street terrace prior to the Highway 30 street widening of 1953.

Courtesy of Winnie Lottes Lacy
Photographer/Artist: Mrs. George (Leita) Lottes
Date: pre-1953

Interior Gisholt Machine Co. accounting office, 1245 E. Washington Avenue.

Courtesy of Gary Tipler
Date: 1926

Date unknown

Courtesy of Tom & Stan Karls

1216 Williamson From the Karls family history: "This is a picture of the meat market. Grandpa Matt is leaning on the candy counter. Some candies were 1 cent each and some were 5 for a penny. The scale is on the meat counter and behind it is the cooler where the halfs of meat were kept for butchering. Behind the cooler was a big vat were sausage was made. Grandpa was known as an excellent saudage maker. The market is now an antique shop."

Courtesy of Tom & Stan Karls

1216 Williamson From the Karls family history: "This picture is shows the back of the meat market which is an antique store today. The loading dock was an alley between the two buildings.The other building was a bakery for many years. In the same building as the market, on the other side, was a cleaning store and other business for many years."

Courtesy of Tom & Stan Karls
Date: 2000

Parking lot at 1215 E. Wilson

Courtesy of Tom & Stan Karls
Date: 2000

The Eagles Club 1232 Jenifer St - Site of Marquette School - 1235 Williamson, now the Willy St Co-op 1221 Williamson

People's Fruit Market - 1201 Williamson Photo courtesy of F. X. Dickert, whose paint shop is on the left in the photo. Photo lent in 1976.

Orton Theatre, 1207 Williamson St Later remodeled as a commercial building, long the home of Star Liquor. Photo lent by Robert Jaquish, 1976.

Courtesy of Gary Tipler

Fire House #3 - 1217 Williamson Later replaced by the present building. This fire stations was built with a stamped tin sheathing to have the appearance of rusticated brick and stone. It was possibly the work of Gordon & Paunack, architects. Refer to the news photo of its demolition.

Beglinger's Grocery - 1201 Williamson St. Jane Piper Kessenich's mother is the young female clerk. Mr. Beglinger is to her right. As of 2003, this is the home of the Weary Traveler.

Courtesy of Jane Piper Kessenich

Fire Station No. 3, 1217 Williamson Showing off the new equipment.

Courtesy of Gary Tipler
Date: c. 1917

1521 Williamson - Willy St redesign of Air Force ad



<-Back to Photo Gallery