413 S. Baldwin St - Boyd & Gill Hospital

413 S. Baldwin St - Boyd & Gill Hospital

Built 1889
Architect: Ferdinand Kronenberg



photo 2002




Drs. William Gill and James Boyd's Madison Hospital. Built in 1889 as the Madison Hospital by Dr. W. W. Gill and Dr. J.N. Boyd, the Gill and Boyd hospital was one of the first of several attempts to found a hospital for the general public in Madison. Dr. Boyd dided a short time later, the enterprise lapsed, and the building converted to apartments. The Hospital Association, organized in 1898 for the purpose of establishing a public hospital in 1900 resolved to purchase the Gill property but couldn't raise the funds. Williamson Street resident, Ferdinand Kronenberg was the architect chosen to design the building on South Park Street that marked the beginning of the Madison General Hospital.