219 S. Blair - Chicago & Northwestern Depot

219 S. Blair - Chicago & Northwestern Depot

Built 1910
Architects: Frost and Granger 

The second depot  building in Madison for the Chicago & Northwestern Railway. The building was touted by the newspapers as the most beautiful depot in the Northwestern system, when it was built in 1910, designed by the architectural firm of Frost and Granger of Chicago. Refer to the story on page 263 of David Mollenhoff's book, Madison: A History of the Formative Years, University of Wisconsin Press, Madison, 2003.

The building was constructed to replace the earlier red brick depot.  A previous 1906 proposal for a larger structure with a 5 story tower was denied by the City, as it would have involved closing the Blount Street right of way for an extended boarding platform.

The depot was closed in 1965, and sold to Madison Gas & Electric, who radically modified the interior and converted the structures to office space and materials storage.  In 1983 the company constructed a new corporate headquarters behind the depot building.

    
Exterior photos from 2002, during construction of the cross-town sewer force main,




Chicago and Northwestern Deport, from "Madison, “The Four Lake City,” published 1918Date: 1910's
Chicago and Northwestern Deport, from "Madison, “The Four Lake City,” published 1918


Various post cards from the 1910's
Chicago and Northwestern Station Postcard. 1910's.    The second depot building in Madison for the Chicago & Northwestern Railway. The building was touted by the newspapers as the most beautiful depot in the Northwestern system, when it was built in 1910, designed by the architectural firm of Frost and Granger of Chicago. Refer to the story on page 263 of David Mollenhoff's book, Madison: A History of the Formative Years, University of Wisconsin Press, Madison, 2003.Courtesy of Gary TiplerDate: c.1920

 Chicago and Northwestern Station Postcard. 1910's.

Interior of the Chicago & Northwestern Railway passenger depot, the second to serve East Madison, sometime after its construction in 1910.
Interior post card, showing the view from the lobby facing the Blair St entrance.



Chicago & Northwestern Railway Yard, Blount St in the foreground, looking east.  Blount Street power plant is on the left. Madison Gas & Electric Co Blount Street Station, from Blount St. - From “Madison - The Four Lake City”, 1914
Chicago & Northwestern Railway Yard, Blount St in the foreground, looking east.  
Blount Street power plant is on the left. Madison Gas & Electric Co Blount Street Station, from Blount St. - From “Madison - The Four Lake City”, 1914


CN&W Railroad At Blount St, looking up East Wilson. The building being erected in the background is the State Office Building at One Wilson St. On the extreme left is visible the edge of the McCormick Harvester Building at 301 S. Blount StCourtesy of N. SchroederDate: 1930s
Chicago & Northwestern passenger train at Blount Street, looking towards downtown.  c.1930.
photo courtesy Nick Schroeder


Wisconsin Historical Society Images:
32152 American Express at Railroad Depot
33390 American Express Wagons 
35562 Walt Kelly & Pogo on Book Tour
11039 Drafted Men at Chicago & Northwestern Station
4898 Train and Automobile at Intersection
52152 Train of Tomorrow
14433 Union News Company Merchandise Display
14449 Union News Co. Merchandise Display
36539 Wing Detail
54802 Chicago & North Western Railroad Station
25341 Chicago & Northwestern Railroad Station
6890 Northwestern Railroad Station
114304 Verges Baggage and Dray Line
3853 Railroad Construction Crew
3684 Railroad Construction Crew
14555 Nash Cars at Governor Julius P. Heil's Inauguration
49076 Railway Express Agency Truck